The cancer care navigator is dedicated to guiding you and your family throughout your cancer journey.
The cancer journey is often complex and can be confusing and overwhelming for patients and families.
A diagnosis of cancer can affect patients and families physically,emotionally, financially, socially and spiritually.
The Cancer Care Navigator will provide a continuity of support so you will always have someone to turn to with questions about your treatment and care. The Cancer Care Navigator works closely with your family doctor, the cancer team and other caregivers to help you get the best care possible.
The Navigator will guide you through the physical, emotional and financial challenges that come with a cancer diagnosis. Assisting you to make informed decisions and helping you access the support you need in a timely manner is the goal of the Cancer Care Navigator. This service is free to patients with a cancer diagnosis.
You can contact the Cancer Care Navigator for resources, educational material, information and support. The Cancer Care Navigator can help you prepare for appointments, investigations and for treatment in the Yukon and/or out of territory. The Cancer Care Navigator can also provide information on cancer centres and the resources available.
The Cancer Care Navigator can help you and your family by:
- Listening to your needs and assisting you to find answers to your questions or concerns
- Helping you to be better prepared for your cancer treatments
- Helping you understand who will be involved in your treatment
- Reviewing what to expect when going through treatment in the Yukon or out of territory
- Assisting you to understand diagnostic tests and treatments
- Helping you decide who to contact for various support such as counseling, home care, and other support services
- Providing information and contacts related to medical travel benefits/coverage
- Providing services available to you in your own community and throughout the Yukon
- Providing resources such as reading materials, videos/CDs, DVDs, internet sites and cancer information lines
Referrals to the Cancer Care Navigator may be made by patients, their family, physicians or health care professionals.
Cancer Care Navigator
Whitehorse General Hospital
5 Hospital Road
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 3H7
Added to cache at May 22, 2013 10:17:28
Content not from cache